A collection of essays, videos and more on various subjects; philosophical, political or anything that gets my attention. Enjoy!
Saturday, 24 May 2014
Full Length Talk by Daniel Dennett - 'How To Tell You're An Atheist'
Interesting talk by Daniel Dennett. His mention and promotion of the Clergy Project is something that I think should be especially mentioned here.
Dennett's attitude towards believers is quite refreshing, in my opinion, and has made me reflect upon the way that I see religious beliefs and the people who hold those beliefs. I feel that we should show that, as supporters of a free and rational society, we have no room for the fanatical and dangerous ideas that come with religion. We should show this while aspiring to remain as peaceful and thoughtful as this great contemporary philosopher.
Also, I would like to announce here that I plan to write three separate essays on atheism and religion which I'll name: -
- Why are Atheists so Hateful?
- Why are Atheists so Angry?
- Why are Atheists so Arrogant?
I'm writing these in response to the fact that these are the three suggestions that popped up when I typed the words 'Why are atheists' into my Google Chrome search bar. I actually find it quite shocking but I'll same no more here. Feel free to post comments of other suggestions on search engines about atheism that made you think.
I was, in fact, going to type 'Why are atheists predominately male?' in response to the statistics I read here (http://www.atheistcensus.com/country) about the UK. Of a survey consisting of over 19,000 atheists, over 75% are male. I think this is an interesting statistic and definitely one worthy of investigation. Perhaps I'll write something about this in the future.
Labels:
atheism,
Daniel Dennett,
Philosophy,
religion
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment